Monday, September 07, 2009

District 9


I was going to wait until this came out on DVD, but my two sons encouraged me to go with them to see it at the cinema. And I'm very glad I did.

Just in case you've managed to avoid the blanket viral advertising campaign, District 9 is based in an alternative 'now' where twenty years ago an enormous alien spaceship came to a halt above the city of Johannesburg.

The million-or-so almost-dead crew (nicknamed 'Prawns' because of their crustacean-like bodies) are 're-housed' in a slum in the city below.

The film starts with a documentary-style introduction, moving seamlessly into a more conventional 'Alien 2'-style action film.

To explain the film is to spoil it. What I can say is that despite plot-holes the size of an alien spaceship, it managed to intrigue, shock and entertain Zak, Brook and myself throughout its 2-hour running time.
------------

No comments:

 
UA-60915116-2