Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Slings & Arrows


I can't remember how I came across this series. I think it was while browsing IMDB for information about an episode of West Wing... or maybe Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. What I do know is that it is I'm glad I discovered it.

Each 6 episode series of Slings & Arrows focuses on the performance of a Shakespeare play, and although I'm woefully ill-informed on Shakespeare's works, I'm fairly sure that themes from the play are being woven into the plot as well.

The actors are all excellent. The characters are finely drawn, and there is a warmth to the writing that rarely caricatures or deprecates people. The narrative is intricate but clear, drawing you into the story and making you laugh and cry by turns.

And it has made me enjoy and want to know more Shakespeare. In fact, I'm booked to watch Macbeth in October.
------------

No comments:

 
UA-60915116-2